Meatloaf was one of my favorite dinners as a kid, weird I know, but I loved the way my mom made it. Instead of bread crumbs she used fresh bread ripped up into big chunks. She also used BBQ sauce which I loved. Since I’m doing Whole30 I really wanted to try to re-create something similar but Whole30 approved. This recipe works for Weight Watchers too at 4 Smart Points per serving.
Turkey Meatloaf with Peppers & Onions:
Serves 6 (4 sp’s per serving)
- 1 lb ground turkey (I used 97/3)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pepper diced (I used 1/4 of 4 different colored peppers)
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard (optional- I just love mustard)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil (plus some spray to oil pan)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Finely dice pepper and onion.
- In a large skillet heat oil and add diced pepper and onion to sauté.
- While the pepper and onion are cooking add: ground turkey, almond flour, tomato paste, mustard, and seasonings into a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- When the pepper and onions have sautéed for approximately 5-8 minutes and the onions appear to be looking translucent add them to the meat mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Transfer mixture into an oil sprayed loaf pan.
- Once mixture is in the pan pat it down to even out the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes (meat thermometer should read 160 degrees when inverted into loaf).
I added store bought Whole30 compliant pesto to top mine off. My husband even ate it and he is not a meatloaf person, he said it was good. Believe me, if he didn’t like it he would sneak it into the garbage like a little kid! Haha! 😉
I paired mine with Rosemary, Thyme & Garlic Roasted Potatoes.
Also, mine fell apart a little but it still tasted delicious! 🙂